Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Stop and smell the wildflower


I've got the sleeves set in on baby girl's Wee Wildflower.  It's adorable and fits her just a teensy bit big, which is what I wanted.  If anyone is thinking of knitting this one, do yourself a favor and either knit it in the Pashmina that is suggested (kinda pricey), or in a fingering weight.  The gauge on this is murder on an average sport weight yarn.  (Pattern Gauge: 28 sts and 34 rows = 4” in Stockinette on US 3 [3.25mm])  If I was really going trying to get gauge with this yarn, my baby girl would be extra protected because the fabric would be bullet proof.

I think the Pashmina tends to lean closer to a heavy fingering weight, than a true sport.  And maybe the Cascade 220 superwash sport leans on the heavy side of sport?  Together, the combo is no bueno.  Between my gauge and the yarn, I ended up having to knit a size 2 to get the more or less size three for her.  The good thing is, there's no size three in the pattern, so it worked out well.  The 4 would really just be too big, but the 2 is a little too small on her. 

I just hope I'm not knitting this little cardi out of barbed wire.  Baby girl is a bit of a yarn snob...and when I tried to put her in a sweater knit from Patons Classic Wool, you'd really have thought I had made sure to include razor blades and pokey things.  So far, the only sweater she even remotely tolerated was knit in Madelinetosh DK.  I can't really blame her though.  If I had a choice, I'd much rather have a sweater knit in Madelinetosh, than Classic Wool.

I was able to get her to try on the Wildflower cardi, which honestly, was a miracle.  We went together yesterday to the "button store!!!" (JoAnns), to pick out buttons for it, and I found the perfect little buttons.  All that's left now is seaming in the pocket linings, weaving in ends, and the collar and button band.

The picture is a little blurry, but LOOK AT THESE BUTTONS!!!  They really are perfect for this cardigan.


I'm hoping to finish it up in the next few days.  We'll see...finishing isn't exactly the most fun thing ever.

xoxo,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment