Friday, August 31, 2012

A little fun with dyes

Every once in a while, I get an itch to dye some yarn.  I decided to try dyeing some fiber again too.

The last time I dyed any fiber, I felted it horribly.  I was able to pull it apart, and rescue some of it, but no where near as much as I had dyed.  It was my fault though, I moved it around too much.

Here's the bit that I was able to save.  I know it looks like a good amount, but I probably had dyed almost double that.  It's more felted and fuzzy than I'd like, but I'll use it somehow... a hat maybe.




This time, I barely touched it until I rinsed it and put it out to dry.  Looks pretty good huh?  I think it's going to spin super easy, and I can't wait to get it on the wheel.

I used Jacquard acid dyes for all of it.  I was playing around with turquoise (holy crap is that a hard color to dye with) and black.  Initially I was only going to dye the one skein, and the roving, but since the dye stock was already there, I figured I could always use another skein of gray.  I do love me some gray.

Now, to figure out what I'm going to knit with this...

xoxo,
Liz


2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous wheel!! What is it? The handspun is also a wonderful colour! But the wheel! *Swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Kromski Minstrel in Walnut. It originally belonged to my husband, but since he stopped spinning, I sort of claimed it as my own :-)

      Delete