Tuesday, August 14, 2012


Except for a quick mention in my podcast, I've never posted about this ongoing project of mine.

It's a Hexagon blanket (ravelry link) that I started back in June of 2011.  I'm using Noro Silk Garden Sock in the S269 Naturals colorway, and some Kureyon sock in the black and tan colorway.

When I first bought yarn for it, I crocheted about 20 of these hexagons and arranged them on the couch for my husband to see.  I asked him if he'd like me to make it as a throw, or a bedspread.  I guess he wasn't in love with the idea, and didn't want to have to look at it everyday on our bed, so he said throw.  Maybe he was just doubting my skillz...who knows.  Off I went crocheting hexagons, satisfied that the yarn I had was enough for a throw.  I crocheted enough of them to make a decent size throw for one person hanging out on the couch.  After being satisfied with the placement of the different hexes, I piled them in order and started seaming.  I tried crocheting them together but didn't like the ridge I was getting so I opted for seaming them with a darning needle and the same yarn.

Fast forward to after I have more than half the dang thing seamed, my husband sees it, and instantly proclaims that it's beautiful and would rather have a bedspread made out of it.  Well darling, that's great, except the yarn has been discontinued in the US and I don't know if I can get any more.  Lo and behold, they've decided to bring the yarn BACK!  Yay!

Now my only problem is that I've placed the darker hexes throughout the throw in a random, but balanced order.  I've already seamed more than half and I'm REALLY not looking forward to taking that apart.  Good news!  I found another ball of the darker colorway.  I also got my hands on 12 more skeins of the lighter colorway.  All together I've got 24 skeins invested in this thing.

I have a feeling this blanket will be an ongoing process for a very, VERY long time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment