Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Self imposed insanity

I have a bit of self imposed insanity.  Originally, I wanted to knit 12 sweaters between here and when the cold weather arrives.  If it decides to make an appearance this year.  Last winter was the winter that never came.  I had big big plans.  Here's all that I wanted to make.

Baby Girl
  1. Wee Wildflower Cardigan out of some Cascade 220 superwash sport in Wisteria
  2. Little Oak out of some Madelinetosh Merino Light in Twig
  3. Not sure what pattern just yet, but something in a worsted weight that I have on hand.  Delicious Plucky Knitter Primo Worsted in a color called Bleedin Armadillo Grooms Cake. (pic below)



Baby boy
  1. A smaller version of the Protego Pullover out of some cascade 220 superwash sport in colonial blue.
  2. A Gathering Stripes in Plucky Knitter Primo Fingering in Ballpoint and Oatmeal.  Such a lovely combo.  This one I'm modifying a bit.  I'd like the neck to be a little shorter, and not as wide for my little man.  I started it the night before last, and it's looking great.  Can't wait to see it on my little guy.
  3. I'm still not 100% sure about the worsted weight sweater for him either.  I'm thinking I'll knit him an Abernathy.  It's so adorable, and the neck will make it nice and easy to get on and off of him.  Here's the yarn I'm using for that. (below)


So let's tally.  That's six total sweaters so far.  Not too bad though, the sweaters for the kids work up super fast.  At least for now they do.  My girl is almost 3, and my son is 1.5 years old.  I would have had those done already, or at least half done, but with kids, it's a little tricky.

You can't go all nutso and decide you're going to get their sweaters done early.  When they're this little, who knows when they're going to hit a growth spurt...or not.  All the time you spent knitting could end up being for nothing if the sweater doesn't fit.  Most people try to beat that by making the sweater a size or two larger than the current size for the baby.  Well that's all well and good if the kid grows the right amount.  If they don't, it's either going to be too small, or too big.  And please, don't get me wrong, I think kids are adorable, I'm just not the biggest fan of kids running around wearing clothes that look like they're two sizes too big and everything is rolled up and huge. 

Oh and while we're at it?  That whole they'll-grow-into-it thing...not always true.  Well yes, if it's too big, they WILL grow enough so that it'll fit them, but that might be right smack in the middle of summer.  And I don't care how cute that sweater is, it's not going to get worn. 


My method of attack, is to wait until as late as possible in the year, take the measurements, and then knit like a mad woman so that I have sweaters for them with a hope of fitting properly.  Trust me, I've made this mistake before.  The Ballpoint yarn, as a matter of fact, was a sweater in progress last year, and little man somehow must have gotten a hold on some Miracle Grow milk and outgrew it before it was half done.

So if you're asking me?  wait.  Wait longer than you think is reasonable, then wait a week more.  Then take your measurements, and knit like crazy until your hands form into claws, and you may or may not need help bathing.  Trust me.

Right.  So that's six sweaters.  The other six?  Well, those are just delusions I guess, because those are adult sized.  Hahahahahaha! Who's that crazy lady that thinks she's going to knit six child and six adult sized sweaters between now and December?  I'll tell you all about those tomorrow.

xoxo,
Crazypants Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment