Monday, September 24, 2012

Cause this is exactly what I needed to do...right?


So instead of working feverishly to complete the WIPs I've already got going, I cast on for yet ANOTHER cardigan... cause that's what I needed to do, right?

My LYS posted on Facebook that they'd gotten a shipment of Cascade Venezia Worsted in.  How could I NOT run right over there and check out the colors?  Sure, I could have gotten there and found nothing in the way of a color that suited me.  But my LYS owner is beyond awesome, and she orders the greatest colors of anything she orders.  A little bit for everyone.  There is almost always something there that is right up my alley.  I snagged 5 skeins of the Peacock Blue and practically raced home to swatch for a Rocky Coast cardigan.

The swatch?  not anywhere near gauge, but that's ok, I'll just knit it at the gauge that I like, and knit the larger size.  The pattern calls for 16 sts to 4".  Closest I got was 20 stitches using the 10.5 needle suggested.  Any bigger and it just doesn't look right in this yarn.  I knit another swatch on size 10's and I like it much much better.  This fabric is already so wonderfully drapey because of the silk, that I'm going to keep it as it is, and knit on the 10's.  This means I'll probably have to knit the largest or second to largest size...ish.

I'll have to pick up at least two more skeins...if not three.  I called up the shop the next day, and she's holding two more skeins for me.  I need to make sure I remember to call and hold another one.  Just in case.  What's the worst that can happen?  I don't use all of it, and I make something small for someone else.  Win/win.

Honestly?  This yarn probably isn't the best suited to this pattern.  The cables don't really pop as much as they would with another yarn, but I like it.  I love the feel of Venezia, and I have wanted a cardi out of this for.e.ver.

It can be a teensy bit splitty sometimes, but that might just be the way I hold the yarn, or the way I knit.

If you didn't already know, I knit every night after the kids are in bed.  It gives me a couple hours a night to make a little progress on something.  With all of these projects going, I tend to play a little bit of  Musical WIPs.  If I'm more mentally tired than usual, I'll knit on something simple (like Jacob's or Rachel's blanket).  If I've had a more normal day, I can knit on something that requires a little more attention.  This of course all depends on what shows we've got on the DVR.  If they're shows that need more attention, I knit simple.  If they're easy going shows, I knit interesting.

There is a method to my madness.  I promise.

xoxo,
Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment