Monday, March 28, 2011

A little something


Working on a few things...here's one.  This is a little something I'm working on for baby boy Jacob.  I'm hoping this will fit him next winter.  He's only 2 months old right now, so it's a little hard to gauge how big he will be when he's a year old, but we'll see.  I'm making it a little on the big side, just in case.  I can always roll up the cuff on the sleeve if it's a little big, but I can't make it longer if it's too small.

It's my own design, and it's going to have a grandpa sweater type collar.  I think those are just the cutest on little boys.  I don't think I'll be posting a pattern for different sizes, but I'll likely write one up for just this size.  It appears to be a 1 - 2 year old size, and I'll make sure to include the measurements so that anyone wanting to make one, will know whether it will work for them. 

It's a pretty quick knit so far, and using a modified drop shoulder makes it so easy to put together. I'm also knitting the body in one piece because I prefer to limit seaming.  I'm almost done with the body of the sweater (as you can see below).  I'll knit up the sleeves, attach them and pick up the stitches for the collar and button band. 


I'm knitting this out of Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn.  Yes, it's acrylic, but it's for a little boy, and truthfully, they get dirty and they grow really fast.  I'm looking for something I can throw in the washer and dryer and not worry about.  If it were to get ruined somehow, I won't hurt so much knowing that it only cost me like 5 bucks worth of acrylic yarn and a little time.  I have some nice yarn in my stash for when he's a little older, and can wear his stuff for a couple seasons.  I've knit him some cute things in expensive yarn that he's already outgrown, and that adds up.  I knit him the most adorable little romper with matching hat, mitts, and socks out of Malabrigo Sock  It took two skeins, so that's about $40.00 worth of yarn, and he only wore it 3 times.  Lesson learned. 

I'm hoping to get this done soon, so that I can write it up before it leaves my brain.  The whole thing is in my head right now with just a few notes written down.  I'll post the finished pics on this with the pattern for it when I'm done.

xoxo,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I'm sure Jacob is going to look adorable wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's darling! I lovd the colors and your knitting, too. Lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete